Maximum corrosion protection for aluminum
Magnaplate HCR® coatings can be used on aluminum alloys made of less than 5% copper and 7% silicon with no lead. The degree of hardness, penetration and color vary with each alloy with processing temperature and coating thickness. NASA tests of shuttle parts show that parts coated to a thickness of 51 microns.
By undersizing the outside diameter by two times and pitch diameter by four times for 60 degree thread forms of the desired coating thickness, the original thread size can be maintained after coating. Final thickness of the coating is influenced by penetration and growth for machining allowances.
The finish of the surface after the application of Magnaplate HCR is equal to or slightly rougher than the original surface. While not recommended, slight burnishing, lapping, or honing can be performed on a coated part if necessary. However, removal of the surface material should be no more than 0.0002 inches. For machining allowances, note that overall final thickness of the coating is influenced by penetration and surface growth.
Enhanced aluminum exhibits rapid heat and cold transfer. By converting an original single flat aluminum crystal into millions of surface facets, Magnaplate HCR allows heat distribution within the encapsulated outer surface that surpasses untreated aluminum.
Magnaplate HCR, a patented process, offers superior properties compared to common industry processes such as hard anodize with nickel acetate, or sealed anodize. Magnaplate HCR properties include:
- Temperature range from -110°F (-79°C) to as high as 600°F (316°C) at intermittent operating conditions
- Maximum corrosion resistance
- Thicknesses from 0.001 to 0.0025 inches per side ±10%
- Ability to withstand salt spray (MIL-A-8625 and ASTM B-117) exposure in excess of 15,000 hours - 44 times the MIL-SPEC of 336 hours
- Permanent dry lubricity
- Chemical resistance
- Hardnesses up to Rc 48
- Mold release
- Coefficient of friction as low as 0.09
- Moisture resistance
- Can be FDA or USDA compliant
- Properties that exceed MIL-A-63576
- Conversion coatings
- Resistance to heat and UV light
- Wear resistance
- Exceeds Mil-Spec requirements by 35%
- Exceeds AMS requirements by 5 times
- Excellent dielectric characteristics and insulator. Coating won't break down and can withstand up to 2,000 volts
|Type||Description||Wear||Corrosion||Lubricity||Anti-Stick||Temperature||USDA and FDA|
|HCR||Maximizes corrosion resistance and hardness of aluminum and aluminum alloys. Up to 15,000 hours of salt spray protection.||NO|
|Ratings are meant for reference only. For specific application recommendations contact the General Magnaplate technical staff.|
- Injection molding
- Pharmaceutical packaging